So far, the potential of the perovskite technology has been proven in labs only. CHEOPS aims to change this and advance the technology by pursuing the following objectives:
Upscale perovskite cells: By the end of the project, CHEOPS will have produced perovskite solar devices of at least 15 × 15 cm². Upscaling also means to produce these cells and modules with tools, techniques and procedures that can readily be implemented in an industrial environment.
Develop tandem cells: CHEOPS will investigate how to produce tandem cells. A tandem cell is a combination of a “conventional” crystalline silicon cell and a perovskite cell. Such tandem cells will increase the efficiency of conventional cells and could potentially be produced using existing manufacturing capacities.
Economic & ecological assessment: CHEOPS will conduct a life-cycle analysis of perovskite solar cells (all environmental impacts, starting from mining raw materials to production and use, ending at disposal of the cell) and assess any risks (political, economic, social, technological, ecological, legal) involved in the new technology.
Technological and market objectives
- Manufacture single junction perovskite solar modules of at least 15 × 15 cm², with a 14% stable efficiency on aperture area
- Reach TRL¹ 5 (technology validated in relevant environment) and MRL² 5 (capability to produce prototype components in a production relevant environment).
- Assess the commercial potential of perovskite technology and demonstrate that single junction solar module costs of less than 0.3 €/Wp can be achieved.
- Manufacture lead free stable perovskite material with 15% single junction efficiency on lab scale.
- Assessment of sustainability, societal benefits and risks of perovskite technology.
- Manufacture monolithic 2 terminal perovskite/silicium
heterojunction demonstrator cells on 2 × 2 cm², with an efficiency above
the single junction limit of silicon cells (>29%) using an all low
- Reach TRL¹ 4 (technology validated in lab).
the commercial potential of PK/c-Si SHJ tandem concept and demonstrate
high efficiency tandem module costs of less than 0.4 €/Wp.
¹ Technology Readiness Level
² Manufacturing Readiness Level